Realm of the Polar Bear in Depth
Similar to our 'Realm of the Polar Bear' itinerary, you'll enjoy three additional days of exploring. Scour the ice and tundra in search of the elusive polar bear and encounter even more icebergs, glaciers, and unique wildlife than you ever thought possible on this 11-day expedition. Search for lounging seals, grazing reindeer, and colonies of birds under the midnight sun.
- 10 nts aboard the MS Expedition
- Zodiac excursions with our expert expedition team
- Lecture and educational programs
- Longyearbyen transfer to airport on arrival day
- Waterproof boots supplied for men's USA sizes 8-14 and women's USA sizes 3-9
- Expedition parka
- Arctic destination guidebook
- All meals included aboard the MS Expedition.
- MS Expedition, Zodiac, local buses.
- 1 Expedition team member per 10 guests.
- Aboard the MS Expedition in quad-, triple-, twin-share cabins, or suites (all with en suite bathrooms and porthole or window) (10 nts). Please note that all cabins consist of twin-size berths and are ocean-facing. Suites have 1 queen bed.
B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
Day 1 Arrive Longyearbyen (1D)
Get your first glimpse of the midnight sun in Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen's capital. Embark the MS Expedition in the afternoon and depart Longyearbyen in the evening.
Day 2-10 Svalbard & Spitsbergen (9B,9L,9D)
Each day is planned to take advantage of local ice and weather conditions. Svalbard is one of the few places on the planet to offer such a plethora of natural and historical extravaganzas. You'll spend the next nine days exploring the remote polar regions. Visit ice-covered fjords with breathtaking mountain scenery, and glaciers crashing into the sea around you. Spend time steaming through the ice in search of polar bears hunting seals. At one or more of the stops, you may encounter Svalbard's arctic fox and the region's unique reindeer.
Our goal is to give travellers the best possible opportunity to see wildlife in and around the Svalbard archipelago. Ice conditions sometimes allow us to sail through the Hinlopenstretet towards the east coast of Spitsbergen, then through Freemansundet towards the south. However, this is not always possible. On some departures, you will explore alternative routes to maximize your time in this remote destination. Early season voyages often provide the greatest opportunity to see large ice floes in the Arctic pack ice, which usually means excellent wildlife viewing. Later in the season, you'll cover more territory, which may allow you to explore the entire archipelago. This can lead you into the less explored regions of Nordaustlandet and Kvitøya, or the continental edges where large whales are attracted by nutrient rich upwellings.
Day 11 Depart Longyearbyen (1B)
On departure day, we will offer transfers to the Longyearbyen airport for all passengers with flights scheduled after 4am.
RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Departure Dates 2015
6/26, 7/13, 7/30, 8/9
Physical Grading — 2
There'll be some light walking and hiking. Suitable for most fitness levels. Nothing too challenging.